Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on Request: Drawing out music?

Request: Drawing out music?

+5
−0

For obvious reasons, it would be helpful to be able to write out sheet music in our posts.

There's already the MathJax plugin used on other Codidact sites, and TeX has a plugin called MusixTex which allows using the Tex software to write sheet music. Is there a way to combine these two to allow easy sheet music-writing embedded directly into the post itself?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (6 comments)
General comments
Quintec‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Is MusixTex easy and intuitive to learn? Because otherwise I feel like just using any sheet music software and taking a screenshot would be simpler/easier.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 3 years ago

My upvote is for having some way to type music inline; I don't know anything about MusixTex in particular. For larger things I'd probably use music software and upload an image, but I imagine it will be useful sometimes to include a short bit to illustrate one particular thing (a harmonic pattern, a progression, a notation, etc), and it'd be nice to not have to do Encore -> screenshot/export -> upload for one measure. I don't know how much that'll happen in practice.

Lundin‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Why can't you post it as pictures?

DonielF‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Lundin I certainly could; not everyone has access to music transcription software or is able to legibly handwrite sheet music.

DonielF‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Quintec Admittedly MusixTex is fairly obtuse. If the design team pursues that avenue of approach, I would recommend simplifying some of the commands, similar to how MathJax simplifies many of the base LaTeX commands.

Lundin‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

@DonielF Umm, you can buy blank sheets with lines and a pen fairly cheap. I'm far from having any form musical talent myself, but even I could draw simple music notes with pen & paper when I was around 10 years old. From there on just have to find someone with a smart phone to take a photo. I don't think providing free music sheet software is something Codidact should invest time & resources on.