Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Best techniques for singing while masked

Best techniques for singing while masked

+2
−0

What are the best techniques for singing while masked? Completely or partially uncovering while singing defeats the purpose, since projecting our voices increases the chance of spewing pathogens into the air. There are two problems to overcome: (1) When you take a deep breath, you tend to suck the mask into your mouth. (2) If you sing while masked, it's harder for listeners to understand the words. There are specialized masks for people who sing regularly in groups, but they're somewhat expensive and hard to obtain. Have people found any techniques to minimize the inconvenience of regular masks while keeping them effective for singing?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

I ordered a singer's mask from Broadway Relief Project. It's a bit expensive but is nicely constructe... (1 comment)
If you stand far enough away from anyone else, the mask is completely unnecessary. (3 comments)
If you stand far enough away from anyone else, the mask is completely unnecessary.
DonielF‭ wrote over 2 years ago

If you stand far enough away from anyone else, the mask is completely unnecessary.

gmcgath‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

| If you stand far enough away from anyone else, the mask is completely unnecessary.

Current CDC information says that the risk is largely from aerosols that spread through an indoor space, not droplets that fly from one person to another. Six feet has never been a magic number, just a guideline. The gathering I'm planning will have open windows if possible, because ventilation lowers the aerosol pathogen levels. Relying on social distancing alone isn't a good strategy. In any case, mask requirements are often a given and the question is how to best cope with them.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

I, too, would like to find a solution for this problem, because even when everyone present is vaccinated, sometimes masks are required. I've tried a few "singer's masks" and none of them have let me really sing. I've seen, but not tried, "frames" that you place between a mask and your face that are supposed to keep a regular mask away from your mouth.